The Voice of Schenectady High

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

How Did the Pandemic Affect Teens?

Socialization is key in post-COVID world, join a club
How Did the Pandemic Affect Teens?

The pandemic has significantly impacted the socialization of young people, particularly those who were isolated during their critical developmental periods.

In 2024, a study from the Pew Research Center explores the strategies and impact teens are using to maintain their connections. According to associate director John Gramlich, in 2021, 37% of high school students reported poor mental health, while 4 in 10 parents are extremely or very worried about their children struggling with anxiety or depression.

This data suggests it is as critical as ever for teens to build a strong relationship with other people.  

As the pandemic affected teens, social media has affected them as well.

Nancy Reynolds, of the parenting blog Raising Teens Today, writes that adolescents who are influenced by social media  may try to fit in, in a way that can lead to negative influences like class skips, alcohol consumption, drug use, and sex.

On the other hand, Reynolds states that experts “found that having a feeling of fitting in can affect … teen’s social and academic outcomes in a positive way. 

Kids who feel they fit in at school are more confident, likely to participate in school activities, perform better academically, and have better mental health,” she said.

At Schenectady High School, Vesha P. was asked some questions about fitting in. “I don’t really like to interact with people other than my best friend,” the 10th grader said during our interview.

Vesha added that she doesn’t get influenced by the other students, and that she doesn’t like to interact with people in general. But she doesn’t get influenced by social media.

If you’re struggling to fit in at Schenectady High, join a club. Clubs allow you to mix with other students who have shared interests.

One club you can join is LPP, or Liberty Partnership Program. It’s a club for all that helps students to socialize and make friends. They don’t judge, and consider themselves one big family. LPP also conducts college field trips.

LPP meets after school, Monday-Thursday. Monday is movie day, Tuesday is tutoring, Wednesday is peer mentoring, and Thursday is social hour. Permission slips for the club are in A20.

-30-

View Comments (6)
Donate to The Phoenix

Your donation will support the student journalists of Schenectady High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.