The Voice of Schenectady High

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

The Pandemic’s Triggering Effects

Help available for teens in post-COVID mental health crisis

How has the pandemic affected people’s mental health? Feelings of anxiety, stress and even loneliness became extremely common over quarantine. The pandemic disrupted daily routines, and limited our social interactions.

has deeply affected a generation of young adults.

According to the Pew Research Center, “The coronavirus pandemic has been associated with worsening mental health.” U.S surveys have found young adults struggle more with psychological distress. 58% of Americans ages 18 to 29 fall into this category.

Experts from the World Health Organization have found that the “COVID-19 pandemic triggered a 25% increase in prevalence of anxiety and depression worldwide.” While the pandemic came with multiple stress factors, people found that they couldn’t hide from the world forever.

Kevin Ropchand, a sophomore at Schenectady High School, voices his opinion. “Being secluded like that made me more introverted in school. Making friends was hard.”

Kevin and every other student that was mentally affected by the pandemic hopes to overcome the deep rooted anxiety.

For teens seeking assistance to get better, many crisis hotlines exist such as the Anxiety Hotline at 866-903-3787. Also teens can call or text 988 for the Mental Health Crisis hotline.

-30-

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Phoenix

Your donation will support the student journalists of Schenectady High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.