$300M Capital project proposal

Shiasia Blenman, Phoenix writer

Schenectady High School will get some major fixes – including the bathrooms – over the next couple years if voters approve the superintendent’s plan.

Superintendent Anibal Soler Jr. detailed a proposal for a $300 million capital project to the Board of Education on Jan. 4. The project covers all Schenectady schools, with the biggest amount for the high school. The $126 million in renovations to the high school include reconstruction of the bathrooms, lockers and the athletic wing. Other plans include an upgrade ventilation system, cafeteria and kitchen renovations in the school.

The plans, which were detailed in a slide presentation, also calls for:

• replacing the concrete sidewalks
  • expanding the tennis courts from four to six courts, including three new pickle ball court.

The slide presentation also show maps for the Freshman Academy to be located in the Steinmetz Career Leadership Academy. The Freshman Academy is currently housed in the B and AB wings of the high school.

This $300 million planĀ  would have zero impact on residents taxes by utilizing state aid to 98% of the construction cost, according to an article in the Daily Gazette. The project, which was developed in partnership with the SEI Design Group of Albany, would also see $60 million expended on district wide infrastructure improvements.

“If the board approves the proposedĀ  project that a community outreach effort would [take place] to educate the public in advance of a possible spring vote on the project,” Mr. Soler said in the Gazette article.

-30-